Finding and living your life’s purpose can be one of the most joyous and rewarding things you can do. It is also the way that you will be most able to help and benefit others, leave a lasting legacy of your life, and help change the world.
As you embark on the journey to discover your life’s purpose, here are some of my favorite inspirational quotes that will help you along the way.
20 of the World’s Best Quotes on Finding Your Life’s Purpose
1. “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”~Harold Whitman
2. “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
3. “For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and ask myself: “if today was the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.” ~Steve Jobs
4. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” ~Dalai Lama
5. “We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ~E.M. Forster
6. “Life isn’t worth living unless you’re willing to take some big chances and go for broke.” ~Eliot Wiggington
7. “Let your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.”~Thomas D. Willhite
8. “We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”~Joseph Campbell
9. “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.”~Henry David Thoreau
10. “In the end
these things matter most:
How well did you love?
How fully did you live?
How deeply did you let go?”
~ Siddhārtha Gautama
11. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” ~Henry David Thoreau
12. For the meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour. What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general but rather the specific meaning of a person’s life at a given moment. ~ Viktor Frankl
13. “The lust for comfort kills the passions of the soul.” ~ Khalil Gibran
14. “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.” ~Bishop T. D. Jakes
15. “The heart of human excellence often begins to beat when you discover a pursuit that absorbs you, frees you, challenges you, or gives you a sense of meaning, joy, or passion.” ~ Terry Orlick
16. “The only tyrant I accept in this world is the still voice within.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
17. “Success? Odd as it seems, you will achieve the greatest results in business and career if you drop the word ‘achievement’ from your vocabulary and replace it with ‘contribution’” ~ Peter Drucker
18. “If success is not on your terms – if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your own heart – it is no success at all.” ~ Anna Quindlen
19. “Success is relishing life and doing whatever makes you truly happy.” ~Vince Pfaff
20. “Success is living up to your potential. Don’t just show up for life – live it, enjoy it, taste it, smell it, feel it.” ~Joe Kapp
Now It’s Your Turn:
What is your favorite quote on finding your life’s purpose? Share your thoughts below.
This post originally appeared on LifeOhm.com.